A few months ago, Amazon has opened its first brick and mortar bookstore, Amazon Books, in Seattle. A few hundreds more stores are expected nationwide in the months and years to come, retail experts said.
Besides, Amazon has set-up an electronic pop-pup store in Westfield Mall in San Francisco, to showcase its new devices such as Echo, Fire Tablets or Fire TV Gateway, and allow visitors to get hands-on them and learn from the brand genius associates. Is Amazon on its way to open physical electronic stores as well ? Time will surely tell.
WHAT LESSONS ARE TO BE DRAWN FROM AMAZON’S MOVE TOWARDS PHYSICAL STORES ?
- If you expect bold, immersive and spectacular flagship stores, forget about it !
In contrast to the first Apple Stores, Amazon is unlikely to bring retail revolution in physical stores. Amazon Books just showcases 5,000 items on its shelves whereas Amazon website offers millions. As far as the shopper experience is concerned, Amazon Books does not bring magic. At first sight though.
A lot of bookstores around the world are visually much more exciting to shop in. A few examples are available HERE.
Anyway, what we like most in Amazon Books is that books are the very heroes of the shop. Every book is faced out, rather than be stacked tightly with only their spines showing. Really useful and convenient.
- From a stategic standpoint, physical stores are a powerful tool to increase Amazon global revenues. Here are 9 reasons why Amazon gets physical.
- 1 – Physical bookstores will help Amazon attract bigger-name authors. What other publishers can offer that Amazon cannot is coveted placement in physical bookstores. Those tables you see in a bookstore when you first enter are hot properties in the world of book marketing. And Amazon can’t compete with that, until it gets its own bookstores.
- 2 – One of Amazon’s secrets to customer service is that it accepts returns, no questions asked. Physical stores would make it easy for people to return products.
- 3 – Amazon physical stores will be massive gateway drug products dealers. The Amazon devices are super compelling to anyone who tries one. The trouble is, there’s no way to try them unless you buy them. Retail stores will help. Each Amazon retail store will be much more than just a gateway drug to Amazon’s products. It will be a gateway drug where people will buy gateway drug products like the Echo.